Colombia Inside Out
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Death Penalty

+12
NicoManrique
julianforerogo
valentinacoba
Angélica
Cesarburgos19
juanitamendez27
valentinaguzman8
NICO CUBILLOS
Yamito
michi_pantin
manuel11
Admin
16 posters

Go down

The Death Penalty Empty The Death Penalty

Post by Admin Tue 28 Apr - 8:29

Would the death penalty be an effective way to prevent serious crime? Is the death penalty a form of cruel and unusual punishment? Is life in prison a good alternative?

ANSWERS WITHOUT JUSTIFICATIONS OR WITH ONLY ONE SENTENCE WILL BE DELETED
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://insideout.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The Death Penalty Empty Re: The Death Penalty

Post by manuel11 Tue 28 Apr - 9:10

Obviously death penalty shows to punish a crime, to prevent its repetition, and to discourage crimes;however, I think that this is not a reason to prevent death or wrong acts because is using this punish to kill someone and is not moral. Staying at prison is a good way to construct the person or to persuade him or her of thinking the next time he committed a crime. Scaring people or making a suppose reduce of crime is not a way to improve the world, because everyone aren't perfect.

manuel11
Official Speaker
Official Speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr - 9:14

I agree that death penalty would be a way yo prevent crimes, because people will know what are going to be the consequences for their acts;moreover,I dont think it is a cruel punishment in comparison of having the rest of your life in a jail were you will be criticise by other criminals and feeling that your life was useless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr - 9:17

I consider that the death penalty is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime, and also a cruel punishment, due to the fact that it violates the international human rights laws; furthermore, the countries using this punishments are promoting killing as a good solution to a difficult promblem. Considering all this I think life in prision is a better alternative than the death penalty.

Back to top Go down

Post by michi_pantin Tue 28 Apr - 9:19

Death penalty is a complex topic because it contradicts its own purpose. Death penalty is sentenced to criminals who have committed serious crimes (such as homicide) , so death penalty basically means to kill someone who has killed before. If this is the case how does it make a difference? And why do people say it can prevent crime when the sistem is also "committing" a crime?

Last edited by michi_pantin on Tue 28 Apr - 9:27; edited 1 time in total

michi_pantin
Novice Participant
Novice Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by manuel11 Tue 28 Apr - 9:21

Ricky115 wrote:I agree that death penalty would be a way yo prevent crimes, because people will know what are going to be the consequences for their acts;moreover,I dont think it is a cruel punishment in comparison of having the rest of your life in a jail were you will be criticise by other criminals and feeling that your life was useless.
I'm not in agree with you, because death penalty not only ends the life of a person, but also is more cruel for the family of the person. At the jail, people can reflect and have strong punishment ;otherwise, what is the purpose of going jail to have fun or what. People can't have the right to kill a prisioner and can't end the life of person that can have the opportunity to change.

manuel11
Official Speaker
Official Speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by michi_pantin Tue 28 Apr - 9:25

Ricky115 wrote:I agree that death penalty would be a way yo prevent crimes, because people will know what are going to be the consequences for their acts;moreover,I dont think it is a cruel punishment in comparison of having the rest of your life in a jail were you will be criticise by other criminals and feeling that your life was useless.

I strongly disagree with you. Death penalty is more of an easy way out for the system, so that people feel like something was done about a criminal. (a cowardly act) But, like I said before, how are we any different from the criminal if we too are violating human rights and the laws of nature? Life in prison is a much better alternative because it allows the criminal to receive the punishment he/she deserves and setting an example to people about crime and its consequences.

michi_pantin
Novice Participant
Novice Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr - 9:30

michi_pantin wrote:Death penslty is a complex topic because it contradicts its own purpose. Death penalty is sentenced to criminals who have committed serious crimes (such as homicide) , so death penalty basically means to kill someone who has killed before. If this is the case how does it make a difference? And why do people say it can prevent crime when the sistem is also "committing" a crime?

I recognize that your judgement about death penalty is totaly correct. Death penalty is considerably contradictive, due to the fact that it promotes killing as a good solution to difficult problems. Moreover, I totaly agree with the fact that the death penalty can not prevent committing a crime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamito Tue 28 Apr - 12:28

manuel11 wrote:Obviously death penalty shows to punish a crime, to prevent its repetition, and to discourage crimes;however, I think that this is not a reason to prevent death or wrong acts because is using this punish to kill someone and is not moral. Staying at prison is a good way to construct the person or to persuade him or her of thinking the next time he committed a crime. Scaring people or making a suppose reduce of crime is not a way to improve the world, because everyone aren't perfect.

Saying that people "aren't perfect", can't be an excuse for not permitting death penalty. This is completely ridiculous. If the government allow the death penalty law, the crimes and other situations can be prevented. According to some studies in EALPS (a web page), higher rates of homicide (91%) of the states with out the death penalty; furthermore, homicide rates get until 70%. In a hypothetical case if someone killed a relative of yours , his or her life would be forgiven just because we are not perfect? You are saying that is not moral to kill someone as a punishment. So, what do you suggest to correct people?
Yamito
Yamito
Sporadic Participant
Sporadic Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by NICO CUBILLOS Tue 28 Apr - 12:39

Nicoglz wrote:I consider that the death penalty is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime, and also a cruel punishment, due to the fact that it violates the international human rights laws; furthermore, the countries using this punishments are promoting killing as a good solution to a difficult promblem. Considering all this I think life in prision is a better alternative than the death penalty.

Nicoglz you are wrong, beacuse death penalty is for people that did serious crimes or do a masacree, instead if these person is the head of a gang or being a person of the Mafia can talk to the persons who work for them and do mora crimes even if he is in prision, and asilating these people is not a pain, beacuse letting them in a building is not a pain they have to fell what they victims feel when they were murdered.

NICO CUBILLOS
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by valentinaguzman8 Tue 28 Apr - 12:41

Nicoglz wrote:I consider that the death penalty is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime, and also a cruel punishment, due to the fact that it violates the international human rights laws; furthermore, the countries using this punishments are promoting killing as a good solution to a difficult promblem. Considering all this I think life in prision is a better alternative than the death penalty.

I totally disagree, how can you say that is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime and that is a cruel punishment. Since society has a big interest in preventing crimes and murder, it should use the strongest punishment available to stop this and that is the death penalty. If the criminals are sentenced to death and executed, people will think twice before acting for fear of losing their own life "an eye for an aye and a tooth for a tooth". Also what you are saying makes no sense, these people should die immediately, they don't deserve to live after comitting such a crime.

valentinaguzman8
Novice Chatter
Novice Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by juanitamendez27 Tue 28 Apr - 12:48

Ricardo, how can you say death penalty would be a way to prevent crime? If it is more cruel living the rest of your life in prison, why isn't it enough for you? Do you really believe any of us have the right to take away someone's life? Human rights exist for a reason, you know? It is better to leave a criminal in prison the rest of his life where he or she, can think of what they did and maybe die regretting it, instead of turning ourselves into criminals and kill them. It is difficult to teach society killing is bad if the government itself does it and the rest approve it.

juanitamendez27
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesarburgos19 Tue 28 Apr - 12:49

I don't agree with this Ricardo, because you must understand that the right to life is above all this is an inalienable right that nobody can take away another person. Understand that if the government implements the death penalty, it would not be better than these criminals, so what it's your point by saying that death penalty is not a cruel punishment. Death penalty is a despicable punishment to criminals that would not only affect them, but also their family, relatives and friends.

Cesarburgos19
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by Angélica Tue 28 Apr - 12:53

Ricky115, how can you say "I don't think it is a cruel punishment"?We all know that there are some crimes that does not have a solution and many times that crimes leave several consequences but this is not the way to prevent that crimes, it is not moral because you are taking off her/his human rights. In addition in my opinion the ones that do that crimes may have to suffer in the jail and living in there, feeling guiltys, suffering every day of their lives, that's the punishment that I will give to them.
Also the death penalty is not the way to prevent every crime and I want you Ricky115 to know that because you are totally wrong saying "would be a way to prevent crimes, because people will know what are going to be the consequences for their acts" because I think that everybody since childs know that, but the death penalty only make the criminals die, they do not suffer what the have to.

Angélica
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by valentinacoba Tue 28 Apr - 12:54

Ricky115, how can you say that the criminals sit on their prision cells thinking about their "useless life"? Well I don't think so. I really disagree with your opinion about "death penalty would be a way to prevent crimes" you are not preventing it, you are just giving the criminal the freedom of the death. I agree with you when you say that jail is crueler than death, cause in the jail you will repeat the same routine everyday, you wake up, you get punch, you eat, they reap you and you sleep. And who will refute that receiving this treatment isn't crueler than death?

valentinacoba
Novice Chatter
Novice Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by julianforerogo Tue 28 Apr - 13:26

I totally disagree with your opinion. How can you agree with the fact of taking away someone's life that is a decision human beings cannot make; besides you say people would not comit the crime because of the consequences, but sometimes peolple don't think about the consequences at the moment of comiting the crime.

julianforerogo
Novice Chatter
Novice Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by NicoManrique Tue 28 Apr - 13:33

I totally agree with you, this is a form to prevents crimes, because you are punishment a person that didn't care about the life of the people that he kill, and if he go to the prison during a time and then he is free whiled the person of the victim of this person are injured becuase of the lost of his family.

NicoManrique
Novice Chatter
Novice Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Samuel242 Tue 28 Apr - 13:34

Nicolgz, are you sure about saying "death penalty is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime"? Because in places like Nebraska it has alredy been approved and it shows that the crime rate has decreased seriously. Also the grat thinker Nicolas Maquiavelo in his book "The Prince": "The best way to get the society in the right way is giving exemplary punishments to criminals." Also criminals can scape form jail and continue committing the same crime, but if the criminal is dead, he can't commit it again.
Samuel242
Samuel242
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by jorgerey Tue 28 Apr - 13:34

I completely disagree with you Ricardo, because death penalty is not a logical punishment for any crime. Based on what you affirmed, people should follow the rules and avoid crimes just because of the punishment they could get; hence, you are suggesting that people should act according to the law by fright of punishments and not because of good willing and consciousness towards others. Moreover, life is one of the basic rights of any human being, and the death penalty would be violating this right. I think you should consider again what your opinion in this matter is, because what you stated is not coherent with the basic value of respect towards life.

jorgerey
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by Samuel242 Tue 28 Apr - 13:34

Nicolgz, are you sure about saying "death penalty is not an effective way to prevent a serious crime"? Because in places like Nebraska it has alredy been approved and it shows that the crime rate has decreased seriously. Also the grat thinker Nicolas Maquiavelo in his book "The Prince": "The best way to get the society in the right way is giving exemplary punishments to criminals." Also criminals can scape form jail and continue committing the same crime, but if the criminal is dead, he can't commit it again.
Samuel242
Samuel242
Idle Participant
Idle Participant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr - 13:35

I strongly disagree with you because as effective as a death penalty is it violates the international laws of human rights. Also if it is illegal to kill someone you think we have the power to end another persons life at our will and be completely legal? Wouldn't we also commit a crime? It doesn't matter how brutal the crime the accused did we don't have the right to kill another human being, according to the international laws and most if not every countries own laws. C'mon ricky seriously?

Back to top Go down

Post by CamilaBaez9A Tue 27 Sep - 22:35

Death penalty is something i agree with because i think they are people who has made really really bad things to others that are irredeem and they deserve death penalty

CamilaBaez9A
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 9BJuanitaGutierrez Thu 6 Oct - 6:30

I am against it because I think the only one that can finish with a person's life is God. There are other alternatives for a punishment like penal servitude for life.
9BJuanitaGutierrez
9BJuanitaGutierrez
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 9BJuanitaGutierrez Thu 6 Oct - 6:31

I am against it because I think the only one that can finish with a person's life is God. There are other alternatives for a punishment like penal servitude for life.
9BJuanitaGutierrez
9BJuanitaGutierrez
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down